5 Reasons Why San Diego Is the Perfect Vacation Destination for Retirees
San Diego is a world-renowned travel destination for people of all ages. There are so many things that make San Diego the perfect vacation destination for anyone and everyone. It’s also a particularly attractive vacation spot for retirees. From perfect year-round weather to senior-friendly entertainment opportunities, San Diego has everything the typical retiree would want.
Is San Diego a Good Place for Seniors?
Retirees love to travel, but some destinations may not be ideal for them for a variety of reasons. Some tropical destinations can get too hot while others are far too cold for the average senior. There’s also the complicated matter of finding vacation destinations that cater to a more mature crowd.
Fortunately, San Diego checks off all the boxes for senior-friendly travel destinations. Here are the top five reasons why San Diego is the perfect spot for older adults to go when they want to get away and enjoy their retirement years.
San Diego’s Senior-Friendly Downtown
Some popular tourist cities cater to younger couples and families, but San Diego is known for its senior-friendly downtown area. There are so many destinations where seniors will feel right at home, from laid-back shopping centers and boutiques to award-winning eateries.
The weather in San Diego is hardly ever unpleasant. The days are mild and balmy while the nights rarely dip below 65⁰ F. Seniors often struggle to find vacation destinations that are not too hot or too cold for their needs, but San Diego certainly fits the bill!
Best Calm Beaches in San Diego
As a senior, you’re probably long past the days of chasing adventure and adrenaline rushes. Wild and dangerous beaches most likely hold no draw for you any longer.
Fortunately, San Diego is known for its calm, laid-back beaches and crystal-clear water. If you want to spend time on a beach that’s not known for its surfing waves, you’ll love the following destinations:
- Coronado Beach: This beach is a beautiful, calm area with gentle waters and amazing skyline views. It includes Tidelands Park, Glorietta Bay Park, Centennial Park and Coronado City Beach. The beach has a flat profile, which means the risk of tripping and falling is minimal.
- Ocean Beach: If fishing in the ocean sounds amazing to you, you’ll love Ocean Beach. Though the waves can get choppy here and there are known riptides in the area, you can enjoy the beach without getting into the water. Ocean Beach pier is the perfect, calm destination to do some fishing. You’re not even required to have a California fishing license to fish off the Ocean Beach Pier.
- Mission Beach: Although it is a highly crowded beach, Mission Beach is a great destination for seniors who want to enjoy calm ocean waters. This beach has lifeguards on duty, restrooms, fire pits, showers, and nearby restaurants. The bay is very scenic and offers incredible ocean views.
- Silver Strand: This is another popular destination for seniors who enjoy peaceful ocean scenery. This is a family-friendly destination where you can watch people play beach volleyball or water ski. You can also swim in the gently swelling waves.
This is just a small sampling of some of the incredible, senior-friendly beaches scattered throughout San Diego.
Where To Stay as a Retiree in San Diego
When you’re touring San Diego as a senior, it’s important to stay in a destination that’s laid-back, quiet, and close to various attractions. Here are some of the best places to stay as a retiree in this sprawling city.
- Hotel Del Coronado: This historic beachfront hotel has been capturing the hearts of guests since 1888. It’s located just across from the San Diego Bay and is close to many different attractions. It’s a 25-minute drive from the San Diego International Airport to this delightful hotel.
- Pantai Inn: This inn is the ideal beachfront getaway. It offers amazing views of the Pacific Ocean and offers a daily continental breakfast. It’s just a little less than a mile from the Pantai Inn to the popular Museum of Contemporary Art.
- La Valencia Hotel: Many older adults love the luxurious and spacious accommodations at the La Valencia Hotel. The hotel offers picturesque views of La Jolla’s coastline and has romantic gardens you can explore to your heart’s content.
The nice thing about each of the above options is that they are close to the beach. That means you don’t need to worry about driving across town to put your feet in the sand.
Senior Entertainment Opportunities
- Trolley Tours: One of the best ways to experience downtown San Diego is by hopping on one of the brightly-colored trolley cars that tour the streets. You can get off at any stop to explore different parts of the city on foot. Whenever you’re ready to move on to the next downtown destination, simply hop on another bus and continue your journey!
- Maritime Museum: The Maritime Museum of San Diego is an unforgettable experience. It features a collection of restored vessels spanning from the mid-1800s to today.
- Altitude Sky Lounge: If you ever want to see all of Downtown San Diego from one location, head over to the Altitude Sky Lounge, which is located atop the Marriott Hotel.
- Seaport Village: Retirees love the relaxed feel around Seaport Village. This is the ideal place to go if you’re ready to shop at some of San Diego’s best boutiques and shops. When you’re done shopping, get something incredible to eat at one of the nearby restaurants or eateries.
- Whale Watching: There is something amazing about being up close and personal with the ocean’s largest creatures. Next Level Sailing offers impressive whale watching tours and sailing experiences. Sit back and relax while the experienced crew takes you where you want to go.
- Balboa Theater: This impressive historic building can seat more than 1,300 spectators. The theater offers sing-a-long music shows, comedy shows and many other live performances.
San Diego offers so many entertainment opportunities for seniors. If you’ve been looking for a vacation destination you can frequent during your retirement years, it doesn’t get any better than this.